Grammar is language syntax. It's formulaic. Nouns are like variables and verbs are like mathematical operators. Here are my favorite languages:
- English - The 'being verbs' in English are equal signs (is, was, were, will be). We often don't notice the basic four operators while we're speaking. But they're there.
Two and four is six.
Two from four is two.
Two of four is eight.
Two out of four is fifty percent.
- Spanish - it was my chosen foreign language since middle school.
- Vietnamese - This is my first or second language; it was spoken in the home.
- Chinese - I took Chinese 101 in college just for fun
- Japanese - I took Japanese 101 in college to better understand anime references
I practice learning new languages as often as I can: when I watch TV alone, in the morning on my commute to work. Here are my Duolingo stats as of Aug 2, 2017: